Friday, August 22, 2008

The New Age Oral Tradition

I have historically been against blogging. In many cases, it seemed rather narcissistic. Blogging was either A) a way of telling friends and family that you are too busy and important to contact them personally and if they would like to know what you are doing, they should refer to the blog, or B) a means of giving all a soap box so that everyone might have a platform for their own personal rant. It is like reading the opinion page in the Eugene weekly, mostly annoying. Consequently I believe personal blogs go mostly unread. Not many care what you or I have to say, with the possible exception of our mothers. However, I have obviously caved. After there were no more college essays forcing me to verbalize thought, I have turned to blogging as an outlet; a means to continue writing for a perceived, or hypothetical audience...and also for my mother. And who knows maybe blogging is the new age oral tradition. One day when we are wondering how we came to believe the things we do, we can remember in all entirety because our stories are still floating in cyber space.

2 comments:

Lenny said...

Well don't go crazy with the colors...

Oregoncornhusker said...

Haybeeee, I agree with you in large part about the whole blog thing, especially the part about it being an outlet to write. That's actually the main reason I started: practice. Now, however, I'm a famous opinion writer... at 20 hits a day. :) Hope things are going well down there!